We value staying connected with the community! We do this by giving educational presentations, participating in public events, and maintaining an active presence on social media.
What do we offer the public?
We like to collaborate with public groups, event organizers and other community programs interested in learning more about nature, species-at-risk, and ecological restoration. We provide a variety of ways to stay connected with the community, including giving educational presentations to schools, nature clubs, and day camps or participating in public events.
We offer the following services:
- Workshops (topics include plant and animal identification, animal handling, data collection techniques, and best land stewardship practices)
- Day camps for kids (provide learning opportunities in basic biology, wildlife identification, group activities, nature arts & crafts)
- Presentations (e.g., species at risk, herpetology for beginners, local research projects, how to enhance biodiversity on your lands)
- Participation in public events (providing information & outreach materials)
- Volunteer opportunities (e.g., toad surveys, Bio-blitzes, citizen science project participation)
Events Participated in the Past
We are working to expand our presence at local events across the Niagara Region and beyond.
Below is a list of events we have participated in the past, or plan to participate in the future:
- Earth Day (Pelham)
- Mother Earth Day (Niagara Falls)
- Canada Day (Pelham)
- Reptile Expo (various locations)
- Pride in the Park (St. Catharines)
- Wainfleet Fall Fair (Wainfleet)
Check out our Social Media & Blog for updates on outreach events!
Joad the Fowler's Toad
Our mascot and advocate for species-at-risk awareness is none other than “Joad the Fowler’s Toad”. Joad the Toad was created by the Fowler’s Toad Recovery Team in 2010, and has since been attending public events throughout southwestern Ontario, helping to give communities information and awareness about Fowler’s toads and their critical habitat along the shoreline of Lake Erie.
Joad may appear at various outreach events if his presence is requested!